Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Opportunity Knocks .......Again

I met Michelle, the lady who gave Shalini her bike yesterday. { I asked her how to spell her name} She was very happy to have given up her bike since she never really took to it. When she saw how Shalini reacted to the gift she realized she had done the right thing. I saw the bike yesterday . Its in great shape and fits Shalini perfectly. After giving the bike a once over I cleaned the chain and gave Shalini some pointers on care and maintenance. I showed her how to change gears, once I figured it out myself, to the easiest setting . She hopped on and just took off. She has been secretly practicing every day and couldnt wait to surprise me . She smiles while she pedals too. Amazing!!! Regretfully, we put away the bike and headed out for the hike we planned. On the 7 minute drive I found out this was going to be her first hike.

As we entered the park I noticed that Mary Piper was there doing hot laps. I hoped we would see her. A couple minutes on the trail and there she was. Shalini was very impressed with Mary, as most people are. { Thanks Mary for saying such nice things about me.} While Shalini and I walked we talked about our kids, hubbys,India, Americans, biking, the outdoors and religion. I learned a lot and at the same time was able to let go of some misconceptions I had about her culture. No question was off limits. For either of us. After 3 miles we called it since we needed to return to preschool.

Arriving at the classroom , Shalini immediately began telling Michelle of our hike. Michelle smiled and said " my husband and I are going to CO to do some hiking , I guess I should be getting my legs ready". I asked her if she would like to join us sometime. She said, YES I would love that. How lucky I am to have opportunity knock again and be able to share/ teach things I am so passionate about. Neither of these women have an idea of the trail systems they both live so close to. With the change in weather coming I think its the best time to start hiking. I feel very blessed to have been given this chance to show them whats out there. Now, all I need to do is find a way to get paid for it. LOL What a perfect job for me. A friend of mine referred to it as Hike and Bike Therapy. Hmmmmm.

In other news, I have lights for the Burnin', from a self proclaimed "light whore" so I can "blaze forth" into the night. Thanks Mitch! Now if I only had a pit crew????

No comments:

Post a Comment