Thursday, November 3, 2011

Change Your Life. Move Your Body.

 Every Wednesday, for six weeks, I attended a writing class.   I learned about format, punctuation, grammar, writing rules,  and different writing techniques.   I want to share my final paper with you.  After being told I could write about anything;  after three revisions, with teacher critique, the following is what I ended up with.




Change Your Life. Move Your Body.

Before you are done reading this, you will be inspired to stop the couch and mouse surfing. You will be ready to get your body moving.  It’s very easy to get busy with our lives and forget to take care of ourselves.  Moving your body is something you have to make time for, despite a hectic life.  Good health does not come in a bottle.  You have to get off the sidelines and get in the game.  If you don’t, you will gain weight and feel awful.  I can tell you from my own personal experience , if you don’t make a change, it will only get harder. 

I let myself go and gained nearly 100 pounds.  My health and happiness were greatly compromised.  As the days grew into weeks and months, I grew more depressed.  I had to do something.  When my daughter was born I took matters into my own hands.  After receiving a clean bill of health from my doctor I began a walking program.  I invested in a top of the line pair of shoes since I would be spending a lot of time in them.  I began walking for 30 minutes a day, pushing a stroller.  Less than six months later I was running again.  Running had been a huge part of my life before I became obese.  It felt great to get that joy back.  Another six months passed and I was introduced to mountain biking.  I had not been on a bike in 20 plus years.  I learned that you can teach an overweight dog some new tricks.

When I started my walking I had no idea where it would take me.  I was thrilled when walking evolved into running. When I met up with biking, I found my true passion.  My bike has changed my life.  Over the span of three years, I was able to chisel off 90 pounds and regain my life.  I have kept the weight off for three years and enjoy competing endurance events that range from six to twenty-four hours.  I would have never dreamed that I could become one of those ‘crazy athletes’, especially since I am over forty. I did not set out to achieve this level when I took my first step.  However, I believe I was made for this lifestyle.

Over time, I noticed that not only did my physical health improve, but my mental health also improved.   I became the happy energetic person I used to be.  I began looking forward to every day instead of dragging myself through like a robot.  I had a positive outlook that was contagious.  My friends and family watched me grow and then hopped on board.  They wanted to experience what I was experiencing.  It was great to have their support and be able to support them in return. I have made a lot of new friends along the way, who have kept me motivated and given me advice when I needed it.  I also have a new wardrobe that I feel confident wearing.

Before beginning any exercise program I suggest a visit with your doctor.  He or she can help point you in the right direction. Your physician can provide you with recommendations an appropriate activity and help you set realistic goals.  He or she can give information on diet and lifestyle changes you can make, along the way, to help achieve your goals.

            My advice is to purchase some decent shoes and equipment for your activity.  This gear is your tools for success.  You deserve to have quality stuff, buy it. Besides, if you spend $100 on running shoes, you are more likely to use them than if you spend $30.   Remember, you get what you pay for, and the cheap usually comes out expensive.

Do you ever wonder what kind of person is hiding inside of you?  My journey was anything but easy.  If it was easy everyone would do it.  I have a few suggestions to make it easier.
·         Tell your friends and family your goals. They can’t help if they don’t know.
·         Take a picture.  That way you can see your progress.
·         Track your workouts in a notebook. This will help you remember where you came from.
Staying motivated can be a challenge after you get moving. Here are a few additional suggestions.
·         Find a buddy to walk with.  If you know someone else depends on you, you most likely show up.
·         Surround yourself with like-minded folks.  They will help you stay on track.
·         Attend some community events that are geared toward health and wellness.  This will help you meet others and give you information on types of group activities in your area.
·         Look back at your workout entries.  Never forget where you came from. This will help you to keep moving forward.

I hope I have inspired you to get out of the chair and get your body moving.  You never know where it will take you.  YOU have to take the first step in order to find out.  I encourage you to take your first step toward a better life. What are you waiting for?

If you have any questions you can contact me personally at sydsmomma@gmail.com.  I also write a blog that contains motivational posts and inspirational stories. You can find it at apabstsmear.blogspot.com.  Leave me a comment and let me know you visited.



No comments:

Post a Comment