Sunday, December 11, 2011

Recipe for Success

I was very impressed with this entree and wanted to pass it on.  I used the recipe below, minus the chicken. I  added another clove of garlic and more curry   This was my first time eating lentils.  Yum.   I have been missing out on these bad boys all my life.  This meal was both healthy and inexpensive.  The ingredients, minus the chicken, cost around $7.  Jim liked it too and made suggestions on ingredients we could add for next time. As a bonus, my house smelled delicious, and  I used a crock-pot, which means I filled it and forgot it.   If you make this, post your opinion.  Would you add anything? 



Jillian’s Mulligatawny with Shredded Curried Chicken

Serves 4
 
Ingredients

1 tbsp plus 1/2 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped red onion
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 tsp grated peeled ginger
1 tbsp plus 1/4 tsp curry powder *
Salt and ground black pepper
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
8 oz dried red lentils, picked over and rinsed
4 cups low-sodium chicken stock or vegetable broth
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
8 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 cup brown rice, cooked
1/4 cup chopped scallion greens for garnish


Instructions

Place all ingredients into slow cooker on low for 6-7 hours or until vegetables and lentils
are tender and meat is cooked.

* For a less-spicy dish, reduce the amount of curry powder.


*** My crock pot on high took about 5 hours.  The longer it cooked the thicker the stew.  This would be an amazing filling for a burrito, you could add a sweet potato, length-wise on a tortilla and lay the filling on top.

Food doesn't have to be boring to be healthy.  This dish proves it.  Enjoy.

Another recipe I will try this week is here .

No comments:

Post a Comment