Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Airborne News

It's not that heavy

I owe you all an apology for not keeping you up to date on what's going on with me and the Airborne Flight Crew.  Life has been pulling me in several directions lately, all of them good.  Gus, my Goblin, and I had a great summer and fall together.  We covered several hundred miles on the various trails here in Missouri.  We even raced one in Cape. Great pictures here. I put Gus together all by myself and did not modify him. I wanted to ride him "stock", to show you that this bike does not need any improvements and is good to go, right out of the box.  I did play around and put a set of sweet Velocity BluntSL's on him.  The white rims really complimented the 'alien green' frame.

Berryman Trail

Council Bluff

I have to be honest,  I have been a little hard on him.  We have had a couple of instances where either he threw me or I threw him.  Either way, there is not a scratch on it.  The paint job is incredible, in my opinion.  I did not have any issues with the Selle San Marco SPID saddle, even after a ride of four hours plus.   The Rock Shox Reba RL fork and Elixir R brakes performed well. I did not see a need to upgrade them.  The drivetrain set up is a SRAMx7 2x10, which shifted easily, even with all of my operator error.  For a price tag of $1,149.95,without pedals, I was not able to find anything comparable with the components the Goblin came with.  At this price, you can afford to upgrade any component you would like. You can see other in-depth reviews here.  I stand by my original assessment also.

By late August,  I needed to spend more time on my single speed with the up coming races I had scheduled.  I had to hang up Gus, until....  November.  My last ride on Gus ended in disaster and me in the emergency room the next day.  I accidentally stepped in a hole and twisted my ankle.


Patience, grasshopper

I can give you one guess what Gus is undergoing this winter.  He will become a bit lighter, and you will see a lot more of him out on the trails in 2012.  He is quietly hanging in the basement , waiting his turn to become a badass.

On that note, I want you to know that I had a "life-changing" time being on the Flight Crew.  I learned a lot about how the bike industry works, got to see some top secret designs, and met a gaggle of new friends.  Want to be a part of it?  Not sure?  Start reading here..... I suggest going for it.  You never know .....

Details on application submission are here.  Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment